Friday, May 9, 2008

What's on your iPod?


I just bought the Wayne's World CD for $1 at the Library. It's one of my favorite guilty pleasures - I movie I stop and watch even if it's halfway through when I find it. I know it isn't fine art or high cinema - but dang it, it's funny. Twice a year the Library has a massive used book sale - it's awesome. I got 15 books by authors like Augusten Burroughs, Anita Shreve, Frank McCourt, Wally Lamb, Jed Rubenfeld ... AND my CD for $18! I felt like a fat kid at a buffet. Seriously - it was fan-freaken-tastic. I just wished I had remembered it in advance so I could have shopped more and spent more. >: ) Anyhoo, I've been listening to that CD on my iPod for the past week - I love it. Songs like:

Bohemian Rhapsody - arguably the best song by one of the greatest bands of all time - QUEEN.

Foxy - Jimi Hendrix - my daughter Sarah's favorite from the movie and the CD - she can do the shimmying, twitching dance Dana Carvey does in the movie - cracks me up

Ballroom Blitz - Tia Carrere's version, not the original by Sweet. Still, a great song. I remember it was a challenge to learn and spit out all the words - really, you're not singing along are you?

Dream Weaver - Gary Wright - I honestly didn't remember the song until it got to the chorus. I always associate it with the soft lighting and wind machine of those scenes from Dana's imagination.

Feed my Frankenstein - Alice Cooper. Hmmm, I wonder what Alice was thinking about when he wrote this little gem? Nasty. I know only a few Cooper songs, I like them more than I should admit. An acquired taste I know.

There's a lot of great songs - some better than others. Anyway, what are you listening to? I'm up for anything.

6 comments:

Twice Blessed said...

Tracy, Unfortunatly..I've been listening to Baby Einstine cds lately...nice huh? And by the way, I was a member of the Alice Cooper fan club when I was in the 2nd grade..how cool was I? (My neighbor Kim -5th grader- made me listen to him if I wanted to play with her). You crack me up girl!

Debby said...

Wayne's World is an AWESOME movie with an awesome soundtrack. Good find. My latest listenings have been on the coffee house station on SIRIUS....it plays great acoustic versions of popular songs as well as some more mellow artists I'm starting to love like Suzanne Vega, Madeline Peryoux and Matt Nathanson. They even play a good bit of Ingrid Michaelson...who i definitely a fav.

jill b said...

I'm still slightly obsessed with A Fine Frenzy. The only time I really get to listen to music is in the car on the way to work, though... so many of my old school faves have gone out the window with the addition of a child who now understands the lyrics of songs! ;) So yes, a lot of the High School Musical soundtrack for me! Back in the day, though, I used to dance around to Alice Cooper's greatest hits CD in my mother's kitchen... "No more mr. nice guy, no more mr. cle-e-e-ean..."

No One Special said...

One of the wonderful things about blogging is that you can re-visit the good stuff whenever you like. I'm glad you dropped by for NPM; the poems will stay there, so please feel free to enjoy them at your leisure.

What's on my iPod?

My tastes are terribly eclectic, and I have a 30 gig iPod, so, well, let's just talk about what I've been listening to while I drive:

- Pat Metheny - Day Trip
- Pat Metheny - Secret Story
- Bon Jovi - New Jersey
- Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
- Dire Straits - Money For Nothing (Greatest Hits)
- Bruce Springsteen - Magic
- Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
- Sonata Arctica - Winterheart's Guild
- The Wildhearts - The Best of
- Gary Moore - Blues for Greeny
- Joe Bonamassa - Blues Deluxe
- Eva Cassidy - Songbird
- Marvelous 3 - ReadySexGo!
- Butch Walker - Left of Self-Centered
- Rafael Anton Irisarri - Daydreaming
- Aphex Twin - I Care Because You Do
- Underworld - Born Slippy (NUXX) maxi-single

...for starters...

Tracey said...

I like the soundtrack to WW. I'm a closet metal-head, old school rock'n'roller =)

I think i'm one of the last remaining I-podless people in the known free world! But cd player is always switching from rock to pop to classical and everything in between!

Secret Squirrel said...

If i had known you were a fan I'd have given you my CD! It's served me well, i got it BEFORE the movie came out, when anticipation was at it's highest, along with all of the my other fellow high schoolers, what, it was 1993!... I mean on SNL WW was THE sketch, and it was going to be a movie?! Doesn't get any better than that... But these were the days BEFORE the Stuart Smiley Movie, I've never been the same since...