Friday, May 16, 2008

Home of my Heart

I am homesick today. I'm homesick for a place I haven't lived in almost 25 years - Cape Breton - the island I grew up on. I realize that time allows us to romanticize our past and gloss over the reality of our memories. But it's where my heart is. It's where I grew up. It's an intergral part of who I am. I am proud to be a Canadian and proud to be from Cape Breton. Capers are proud & stubborn people who are fiercely protective of who they are and what is important to them. Sound familiar? My side of the island is predominantly Scottish and has produced the most amazing musicians. The music is Celtic, unique and beautiful. If you didn't grow up with it, it may not mean much, and may not be your taste. For me, it is the soundtrack to my childhood.

It's hard to explain why Cape Breton is still, and will always be, my home. If you've never lived one place for a long time or really identified with a culture, than this probably doesn't make much sense. I belong to Cape Breton. It's not just where I'm from, it's where I've been. I have friends that grew up on Long Island, and I think they feel the same way. Maybe it's an island thing. In the meantime, enjoy this little window into my home. The song is The Island, and the scenes are from all over Cape Breton. I didn't create the video - it's from YouTube (isn't everything?) Most of the scenes are very familiar to me.

5 comments:

Sunny said...

Very pretty. I totally know what you mean. Since I have been in the south I can't smell enough magnolias and do all the home things. It sounds like you need a trip back home.

jill b said...

Oh, I have my Tiffin days... especially when I'm pregnant. I was just talking about this to B the other day - like it's my way of nesting, having a longing for my little town. I wonder if anyone has a tribute to Tiffin on YouTube... I sorta doubt it! :)

Tracey said...

Beautiful pictures. I can relate to missing your roots. Maybe a trip back is in order?

The G's said...

There's no place like home.

Ginormous Boobs said...

I've lived in Cali for about 15 years now, but I don't consider myself an Angeleno. I will always be a Cleveland girl at heart.