Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I think this guy used to live in my car...


My kids are at Camp this week. My house is QUIET. It's nice. Don't get me wrong - I love my daughters, they are good girls and we have a lot of fun together, but a week away...absence makes the heart grow fonder - that's all I'm saying.

I have the TV on or I listen to my iPod while I clean so it's not totally quiet, but mostly I have noticed that my house is REALLY CLEAN. I mean showroom clean. I cleaned this weekend, AND MY HOUSE STILL LOOKS GOOD. I could sell it tomorrow. Of course I don't include their bedrooms in this description. If furniture could have a flu virus, I would understand the way Sarah's room looks. To my untrained eye it appears that her dresser, desk, and bed have vomited their contents onto her floor. The closet is tidy. There is one lonely skirt on a hanger and a single furry pink slipper on the floor. Ceilidh's room is better - it appears her room just has a hangover, but Sarah...sweet baby james, that ain't right.

At least it's limited to their rooms now. When my girls were little, based on the smell and level of trash in my car, I'm pretty sure there was a homeless guy living in the back seat. I never actually saw him, but the evidence was there. I mean my kids swore they didn't leave the PBJ stuck to the back of the seat, or step on the not-quite-empty juice box and spray it all over the roof of the car. They didn't dump the fries on the floor to leave them sticking up like bamboo spears at the bottom of a Viet Cong pit. They had no idea whose shoe, sock, giraffe, lego, Mr. Potato Head eye or Barbie leg was jammed between the seats. Now that they're teens, I think I've got a hooker. Clothes, lip gloss, occasionally there's money... again - haven't seen her, but what else could it be?

Anyway, I think I'm going to go revel in my tidy nest. The circus comes back into town on Friday.

4 comments:

Cary McNeal said...

You should rent out their rooms to homeless guys while they are gone. Imagine the looks on their faces when they walk into their rooms and find them actually cleaner than when they left, except for a 105 lb alcoholic sleeping in his own urine and vomit. You'd want to have a camera ready for that.

Toni Brayer, MD said...

Yup..mine is off to camp too and it is really nice with no worries about teeth brushing, eating healthy, watching too much TV, violent video games etc etc. He may be doing all those things at camp but WHO CARES?

Connie said...

I'm coming on this post a little late, Tracey, as I am assuming your kids are back home again now. However, I hope you enjoyed your little bit of peace and quiet. :)

Buddy said...

Haha... love your description of the wasteland known as the back seat was hilarious. I remember finding a sippy cup of Elexa's milk that had been under a seat for a few months. Yeah, it smelled good! And even though Abe gets most of his food in his mouth, there are usually enough goldfish, raisins, and teddy grahams in the back seat to nourish a small African nation. We are so tidy!

BTW, where did you find that picture of my Dad? ;)