Saturday, June 14, 2008

Ain't no Sunshine

I've been sitting in my backyard - WHICH I LOVE - on my day off listening to Big100.3. I was floating in the pool and know better than to tempt fate and listen to my hubby's ipod while I'm bobbing around. It won't end well. End of discussion.

The past couple of weeks have been very busy - new sermon series at church, my daughters 15th birthday, choir competions, field trips,concerts,the storms that knocked out the power for 3 days...


Anyhoo, they had a great playlist this afternoon - kind of random in some ways, but fun. David Bowie, Carole King, Heart, Journey & Cheap Trick (the last three are touring together this summer). Since my kids control the CD player in the car - before you think I'm a wimp for letting them have their way, keep in mind it lets me keep an ear out for who and what they are filling their heads with - I forget how much good music is NOT on the top 40 staion I'm usually stuck listening to.

So, in honor of Big 100's playlist from today & all the good music I've ignored, here's a list of some of my favorites from todays' playlist, in no particular order. Some of them aren't even great songs but I have great memories attached to them:

James Taylor - Carolina on My Mind - James Taylor is audio prozac for me - he relaxes me. This song reminds me of my daughter - I had this CD in the car when she was little and we used to sing along.

Jimi Hendrix - Foxy - Always see Dana Carvey in Wayne's world when I hear this song - not sure that's what Jimi had in mind, but still funny to me. Also reminds me of my younger daughter Sarah - she has Carvey's little twitchy moves down.

Cheap Trick - I Want You to Want Me - Elementary School. Bruce Mac Neil. Sigh.

Led Zeppelin - Black Dog - Robert Plant. One of my first Rock Star crushes even though he was 100 years older than me

Queen - Killer Queen. Today they are my favorite band. I'm not a super fan - I don't know where they were all born or who Freddy Mercury's orthodontist was (or should have been), but they are an amazing group of musicians

Tom Petty - Free Fallin' - how do you not love this song? Plus, Petty gives hope to band geeks all over the world - have you seen his wife?

Beatles - Obla di Obla da - Not even close to being spelled right, but it's my new favorite Beatles song. I know, it's no Yesterday or Hey Jude, but it makes me happy, and this is my blog and the song makes me happy so there.

Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine - I am the least romantic woman alive, but this is my idea of a beautiful, romantic song - he bares his heart without stupid lyrics like Fergie's "miss you like a child misses their blanket". Give me "this house ain't a home any time she goes away" any day.

CCR - Have You Ever Seen the Rain - CCR reminds me of my dad. He was cool.

Springsteen - I'm on Fire - Not his best song according to hard core fans, but whatever - I'm not from Jersey.

Steve Miller - STILL don't know what the the crap a "pompatus of love" is, but love the song.

Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music - Reminds me of wedding receptions when all the whitey's in the room hear this, take it as a challenge, pound down the Chardonnay and get up to prove every stereotype ever tossed out about us and our dancing.

There's more, but you've been a good sport to stick with it this long. Thanks for indulging me.

5 comments:

Connie said...

There's some great music on this list, Tracey. James Taylor, I always stop to listen to when one of his songs come on. CCR, Queen, the Beatles are all favs of mine too. Isn't it cool how you can hear a song and all of a sudden you're in a different time and place in your head because of the memories attached to it.

Tracey said...

"Pompatus of love" was actually a derivation of a couple of other terms Miller had written into other songs as well as some taken from other influences he's cited over the years

Yeah i'm a music geek too ;)

~amy said...

Sweet! Love it... James Taylor reminds me of my son, when he was a baby I used to sing "Sweet Baby James" to him (that's his name, btw)... Love your take on the Wild Cherry song, too. Classic!

Cary McNeal said...

Sounds like a great station. We're big JT fans in my house. Ditto Queen.

Most underrated Queen song: "Somebody To Love."

btw, were you floating naked? Just curious. If I had my own pool, I would.

krabbykat said...

Great list! Brings back so many memories for me. It also reminds me that I get too caught up in every day 'stuff' and forget to listen to my music, which I am going to do more often now! Thanks.