Tuesday, February 19, 2008

2 manky prostitutes and a racist dwarf


Now that got your attention didn't it? It's a line from In Bruges- the Colin Farrell film in the theatre now. I loved it. It was wierd, gory, and seriously, the dwarf was wicked racist, but a great story with beautiful cinematography. Bruges is a beautiful city. The story centers around Farrells' character Ray, though Jordan Prentice is brilliant in his role as Jimmy, the angry, racist dwarf. Brendon Gleeson (Mad Eye Moody to all you Potter fans) plays Farrells partner - literally - in crime. I won't bore you with the plot synopsis, that's what IMDB is for, but I will say it was amazing. The characters are complicated and flawed, yet you're on their side when Ralph Fiennes (English Patient, Lord Voldemort) shows up. It had all the things I like in a movie - it wasn't tidy and neat, the characters are dysfunctional in interesting ways, everyone didn't have a happy ending and the story (for me) wasn't completely predictable. The acting was solid, the score didn't take on a life of it's own and overpower the movie. A lot of my friends are chick flick fans. This movie is NOT for you. For me, it was a great way to spend a Sunday night.

No comments: