Sunday, September 16, 2007

good day to you


Yesterday turned out to be a really good day. Not that I was expecting anything unpleasant or for it to be a bad day - I really didn't have expectations at all. It just turned out to be a good day. Why is that post-worthy? I'm glad you asked. : ) I guess it's really not. But I'm posting it any way. I spent the morning at a mini seminar at church, and spent the afternoon at a cheesy community festival, second in lame-ness only to the last parade I went to in my hometown that was made up of 4 cars, a fire engine, the homeliest Festival Queen outside the Far Side, and a terrifyingly enthusiastic clown pelting bystanders with Jolly Ranchers. But you know what? The day - and the festival - was great. We went to dinner with the same friends who had invited us to the "festival" & we had a nice, relaxing time. My girls were at an all day event with friends, so R & I got to just be a couple all day. That doesn't happen often.

The people-watching alone was worth the trip. Any time you're feeling low, take a few minutes to be utterly shallow and look around. You are not "the fattest/worst haired/worst parent/pet owner...(insert current guilt/struggle here). You'll feel so much better. Then tell Jesus you're sorry & blame me for being a bad influence. Plus there was free ice cream and free cotton candy. They could have been playing accordian music full blast and it still would have been great. Seriously - free ice cream AND free cotton candy? What magical land is this?

There really wasn't anything outstanding about the day - (besides the free diabetic-coma-worthy snacks) The seminar was informative, the festival cheesy, but we were with good friends and the weather was perfect. We finished it off with great food at a nice restaurant. Nothing spectacular, but it was a really good day. Hope you get to have your own version of yesterday really soon.

6 comments:

Debby said...

I'm reminded of the 4th of July parade in Jeffersonville, Vermont. It has like 2 cars, a pick up truck and the fire truck that all just drive around the block in circles multiple times to equal a parade. It was fabulous. Loved going every year when I was a kid.

The Doeblers said...

That is great. I am looking forward to the day when we can just be "a couple" without kids for like more than a 3 hour stretch. Things to look forward to...Oh, and I hope that day comes with free ice cream and cotton candy too!

tracey said...

seriously nat! any day with free ice cream and cotton candy you know is going to be a good day!

Sunny said...

I loved our day!!!! GREAT TIMES!

AwkwardMoments said...

It's amazing what kind of things can be fun just with Good friends. the ice cream/cotton candy well now, that's the cherry on top

david hayes said...

Sounds like fun. When I look around I prefer to note how nice the clouds are or how pretty the trees look. I guess looking at fat and ugly people can have the same result...