Tuesday, July 17, 2007

17 years

So I got away for my 17th wedding anniversary. We were married on Friday the 13th, 1990. I KNOW - most of you reading my blog were in utero at the time - SHUT UP! "Friday the 13th!" you say. "Aren't you worried about bad luck?" Nope. I'm far more afraid of Independant Baptists and they were a far bigger pain in my nether regions than an unlucky date on the calendar. Although, we did lose our reception location, the beading fell off my dress, the photographer eneded up in the hospital and the videographer got in a car wreck on the way to the reception... but I digress. Another blog for another day.

We really weren't planning anything since we -(okay I'm) having mini strokes every time I think about the fact I'm only 4 years away from having a college freshman for a daughter - so we weren't planning to spend money. Hence, we've been a little more concious of what we're spending - not necessarily more responsible - just more aware. oops. How it is possible C is 14 and will be a 9th grader in a few weeks is beyond me. I know that's what all parents say, but I'll save that for another blog.

I had a hard time finding an anniversary worthy (read decent & not scary and unclean) hotel room and was reminded by my good friend D, "Don't worry, hotel sex is hotel sex". Good point. We spent a wonderful Friday evening walking around downtown Charlottesville and took our time coming back Saturday, stopping at a couple of wineries and famers markets wandering around - really just enjoying being together. It was nice to be together and be just another random couple. Just being anonymous is SO refreshing. The ministry we're in is the most low-key & the least demanding of any ministry we have ever worked in as far as what is expected of "A Pastor & His Family, Vol 1", but I am always concious of being "a Pastor's wife". When someone is rude & I'm tempted to explain to them that rude people make babies Jesus cry, the little voice in my head reminds me. Not that I come anywhere close to being the poster child, but at least I'm aware. Think of what I'd be without that voice. Yikes. Poor R.

Anyway, just the most refeshing 24 hours I've had in a long time.
After a perfectly lovely evening and day that followed, we came home to an amazing surprise. Our daughters had made a beautiful anniversary dinner for us. Canon in D was playing when we walked in the front door (from our wedding - like everyone else ever married in a Baptist church), and the girls were dressed up and ready to host our evening. They had prepared the dining room with candles and soft lighting, set the table with my best china and crystal, and prepared a wonderful dinner complete with menus. They had even laid out a suit for my husband and a dress for me so we'd be sophisticated enough for the "restaurant". They served appetizers & salad, a choice of 2 pasta dishes for dinner, and even choices for dessert. They wrote us poems and sang (hilarious thank you!) - it was the most Cleaver family moment I have ever been a part of. If you know me, you know I'm more Sharon Osborne than June Cleaver - so fun. I spent my last anniversry recovering from surgery & providing my own night light after radiation, so the bar wasn't set very high this year. It got an E (all my fellow Harry Potter nerds will know what I mean) far surpassing anything I hoped for. I've had anniversaries where we've spent more more, done bigger trips, given each other gifts, or spent more time alone, but this one will stand out no matter what comes down the road.

Now I ask you - What is your favorite anniversary memory?

8 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

I- posting - coming out of hiding from your blog- WHAT LOVELY Children you have - that sounds more magical then that cinderella story - amazed - blessings Farah

Debby said...

we've been lucky enough to be able to do some traveling at anniversary times. One of the few positive sides to not yet being given children. Our 3rd anniversary in Rome was sooooo great. Wandered around the spanish steps, made a wish in trevi fountain, had a simple but delicious dinner at a sidewalk cafe overlooking the pantheon then walking around with a cone of gelato. Ended evening sipping wine at our hotel on a balcony overlooking the st. peter's basillica at the vatican. Definitely one of those magical days. Unfortunately we set the bar so high on just # 3, so it may be a while before we have another anniversary trip like that.

Sunny said...

HAPPY ANNI!!! SO sweet!

Well I have been married for ages and with Grumps' job we just do dinner and a movie. Usually we get stuck with a bad movie too which makes us laugh. One year we went to see Magnolia. UMMMM not a good anni movie. Another year we watched Vanilla Sky. Another blow movie. :) BUT just spending time with the old man is always great.

Amber said...

My favorite anniversary was the year my in-laws did NOT pop-in for a weekend. Yep this past year was the first in 6 years of marriage they have not decided that May 26th was the perfect weekend to "pop-in." When the Pea is looking to get married I'm going to send her away for the weekend with her Aunt Debby, who picked out her in-laws before she even met the husband ;) Maybe D's good luck will rub off on her. Goodness knows I hope she doesn't follow my example.

tracey said...

Good Lord - they are completely socially inept aren't they? Could there be a more clueless set of in-laws? oh wait, let me check my Christmas card list...

The Doeblers said...

For our 1st year anniversary Nat and I went to a B&B at Front Royal. Now mind you we were new to the region and didn't realize that the fanciest restaurant in town had plastic red/white checked tablecloths. But I digress...We were going to go canoing on the James, but it rained all weekend. At least the B&B bar had complimentary Jack--and I don't mean the kind with two legs, two arms, and a head that formerly bore a knot the size of a grapefruit.

jill b said...

I think my favorite anniversary was last year. I was still emotionally recovering from the miscarriage so we decided to go on a little trip to VA Beach... for most people (like the ones who go to Rome, ahem! hehe!) this would not be exciting, but you must remember that we honeymooned in CLEVELAND!?! HA! We're not usually much for vacationing - we love doing it but Buddy can't usually "justify the added expense." It was nice to just lay around on the beach, walk around the streets, and eat ice cream and hamburgers without feeling guilty! That was our 4th anniversary and since we were fairly low-key this year - no gifts, just a nice dinner out - we've decided that we'll do it up every 4 years rather than the traditional every 5... Laugh all you want, but we're having a rocking 48th Anniversary Party!!! :)

ME said...

Ours last week was the best by far. Just weaned donuts so my mom watched the boys, and we went to a hotel 5 minutes away but somehow felt like we were in a different state. We ordered room service for every meal and played pool in the bar and just wandered around w/o a purpose and slept the whole night! Perfect:-)